Food Safety News

Health Department Shuts Down Five Restaurants Across Las Vegas

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Yum Cha, the dim sum restaurant at 4945 W. Tropicana Avenue after health inspectors found a rat infestation on February 6. The routine inspection revealed “rat droppings and urine on liners that cooked dumplings stored in dim sum pots; on food packages, containers, and shelves; on prep table shelves where cooking …

Health Department Shuts Down Five Restaurants Across Las Vegas Read More »

Health Department Shuts Down a Coffee Shop and Two Food Trucks With Imminent Health Hazards

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Aware Coffee & Tea Lounge at 5590 Painted Mirage Road on January 24 after it operated for three days without hot water, an imminent health hazard. The restaurant returned to a zero-demerit A grade on January 27. The health department also shut down two food trucks for imminent health hazards. A1 Mobile Catering had …

Health Department Shuts Down a Coffee Shop and Two Food Trucks With Imminent Health Hazards Read More »

Health Department Closes Chinese Fast Food Restaurant Chopstix with a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Chopstix Express at 2381 E. Windmill Lane after a customer complained about cockroaches in the food on January 16. Health inspectors found a multi-generational roach infestation during their visit. Live and dead cockroaches along with roach feces littered the restaurant. The health department noted that a recent pest control report found dirty conditions, …

Health Department Closes Chinese Fast Food Restaurant Chopstix with a Cockroach Infestation Read More »

The Health Department Closes Three Restaurants, Two Food Trucks

The Southern Nevada Health District closed Thai Original BBQ at 4180 S. Jones Boulevard after finding unsanitary conditions during a routine inspection on January 3. Inspectors found a trench measuring two feet by two feet covered by a greasy piece of plywood in the kitchen, as well as grease overflowing into the sewer. The restaurant remains closed. The health …

The Health Department Closes Three Restaurants, Two Food Trucks Read More »

Health Department Closes Restaurants With Rat Infestations Plus One Used Acid Reflux Medication in Dough

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Delhi Indian Cuisine at 4022 S. Maryland Parkway with 47 demerits on December 12. The restaurant used an acid reflux medication in its raw dough to help it rise, according to KTNV. The medication, made in India by Southern Drugs & Pharmaceuticals for GlaxoSmithKline, expired in 2015. Inspectors also found an open box …

Health Department Closes Restaurants With Rat Infestations Plus One Used Acid Reflux Medication in Dough Read More »

24-Hour Restaurant on the Strip Closed After a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District closed the dish machine area at Citizens Kitchen & Bar at Mandalay Bay after finding a multi-generational roach infestation behind the dish washing machine in the prep area on December 4. Inspectors also found multiple fruit flies, water on the floor, and food debris on the floor under the machine. The restaurant returned to a zero-demerit …

24-Hour Restaurant on the Strip Closed After a Cockroach Infestation Read More »

Health Department Closes Indian Restaurant After Finding a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Curry Leaf Flavors of India at 5025 S. Fort Apache Road after finding a multi-generational cockroach infestation on November 26. KTNV reports that health inspectors found cockroaches “coming through ceiling tiles, on the magnetic knife strip, on walls over prep surfaces, on shelves with food containers, around the hand sink, in the ware washing area, …

Health Department Closes Indian Restaurant After Finding a Cockroach Infestation Read More »

Comfort Food Restaurant Hash House A Go-Go Shut Down Due to a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Hash House A Go Go at the Plaza hotel in Downtown Las Vegas after finding a multi-generational cockroach infestation, an imminent health hazard, on October 24. KTNV reports the health department “counted more than 50 German roaches on the hot line and in the back prep area.” Owner Jim Nyberg told the news station …

Comfort Food Restaurant Hash House A Go-Go Shut Down Due to a Cockroach Infestation Read More »

French Restaurant on the Strip Closed by the Health Department

Even though Favorite Bistro at The Linq Promenade closed its dining room after discovering no potable water after a water main break on Oct. 15 in the French restaurant, the Southern Nevada Health District still issued an imminent health hazard. Inspectors found the staff continuing to prepare food in an upstairs kitchen. The restaurant contends it was throwing food away. Favorite …

French Restaurant on the Strip Closed by the Health Department Read More »

Mexican Restaurant, Food Truck Shut Down by the Health Department

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Tacos El Compitaat 7622 W. Westcliff Drive after a complaint about the cleanliness of the entire restaurant on Oct. 11. Inspectors found dirty tables, floors that needed cleans, dirty air ducts, and a bathroom with a clogged toilet during the survey. Other violations included dusty air ducts above the the food …

Mexican Restaurant, Food Truck Shut Down by the Health Department Read More »