Health Department Closes Chinese Fast Food Restaurant Chopstix with a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Chopstix Express at 2381 E. Windmill Lane after a customer complained about cockroaches in the food on January 16. Health inspectors found a multi-generational roach infestation during their visit. Live and dead cockroaches along with roach feces littered the restaurant.

The health department noted that a recent pest control report found dirty conditions, “including grease buildup and old food debris that needed to be cleaned up, but the inspection says that was not done,” KTNV reports.

Aside from the roaches, health inspectors found frozen fish and chicken thawing at room temperature next to a dirty sink, as well as raw beef, raw chicken, and broccoli all prepared on the same table in the kitchen.

Chopstix Express returned to a zero-demerit A grade on January 17.

The health department previously closed the restaurant in 2015 with 47 demerits and in 2006 with 45 demerits.

The health district conducts unannounced inspections at least once a year. Inspections are posted online about five days after the inspection. The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.

Management can ensure the safety of their guests by consistently practicing proper food handling and safety techniques. Nevada Food Handler Card has over 7,000 happy students because we are the educational provider of choice by management and co-workers. Whether this is your first time, renewing, or just need a good review of proper food safety, we are here to help. To check out our course outline CLICK HERE.