Comfort Food Restaurant Hash House A Go-Go Shut Down Due to a Cockroach Infestation

The Southern Nevada Health District shut down Hash House A Go Go at the Plaza hotel in Downtown Las Vegas after finding a multi-generational cockroach infestation, an imminent health hazard, on October 24. KTNV reports the health department “counted more than 50 German roaches on the hot line and in the back prep area.” Owner Jim Nyberg told the news station that the restaurant knew about the cockroaches, and pest control measures confirmed an ongoing issue. The restaurant also needed to seal holes and clean excessive grease built up in the facility. Other violations included improper hand washing, meats held at unsafe temperatures, and unwashed fruits and vegetables used. The restaurant reopened on October 25 with a zero-demerit A grade.

The health department shut down the food truck Tacos La Chata on October 23 with two imminent health hazards and 37 demerits. The food truck did not have water or refrigeration. The person working on the food truck still prepared tacos with bare hands despite no hand washing facilities. The health department issued additional demerits for selling refried beans, salsas, and cooked rice made in someone’s home. The truck remains closed.

The health district conducts unannounced inspections at least once a year. Inspections are posted online about five days after the inspection. The Southern Nevada Health District routinely shuts down restaurants that receive more than 40 demerits. Restaurants have the option of requesting a re-inspection before the next scheduled inspection.

Management can ensure the safety of their guests by consistently practicing proper food handling and safety techniques. Nevada Food Handler Card has over 7,000 happy students because we are the educational provider of choice by management and co-workers. Whether this is your first time, renewing, or just need a good review of proper food safety, we are here to help. To check out our course outline CLICK HERE.